Friday, February 26, 2010

St. Paul's Cathedral and Covent Garden

Last weekend, Oscar and I visited St. Paul's Cathedral and Covent Garden. We had been to Covent Garden before but never on a Sunday. It was the place to be! There were lots of street performers and an open market. The plaza was filled with families having a leisurely Sunday afternoon and nobody seemed to mind the rainy, cold weather. It also just happened to be the same day as the BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) awards that were taking place in London's Royal Opera House in Covent Garden. We weren't there at the time when the actors were arriving but we did get to see the grand entrance. Pretty neat!
While at the market, I couldn't resist stopping in an old candy shop. It was interesting to see what kind of candy they had because it is different in every country. I love sour candy and had to taste a sour apple ball. I have never tasted something so sour in my entire life. I had to spit it out. (Even now, just thinking about it, makes my mouth water!)
Picking out the goods.
I think my expression speaks louder than words.
After Covent Garden, we walked to St. Paul's Cathedral. We attended an organ concert there so admission was free - score! The organ concert was really good but we had to leave a little early because the baby and I were beat. Photography is prohibited inside the cathedral so I have no idea how Oscar managed to get a shot inside. He got some pretty good shots from the outside, though.
View from the back entrance.
View from the front entrance.
View from inside.

No comments: