Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Child Birth

Oscar and I went to our prenatal classes over the weekend. As you can imagine, Oscar wasn't that keen on the idea of going. I, on the other hand, couldn't wait to learn more. I don't think Oscar had ever been in an "academic" environment with me before so all of the things he had imagined about me being a student soon became a reality. I sat us front and center of the class, was a very active participant, and asked several questions. At one point, he turned to me and said that I was being a know-it-all.

There were six couples and everyone was really nice. Most of the men had witty senses of humor, which made the class more enjoyable and much more relaxed. All of the ladies were really nice and we are all due around the same time. The course was very helpful and we got a good overview of what to expect during labor and delivery and how things work here in London. Oscar was pleased that there weren't any videos or human photos at any time. He retained more information than I thought he would. I laughed yesterday when he said that I was "nesting". Even though I don't think that I am, I was proud of him for recognizing the behavior :)

We didn't go too much into breathing excercies like I had anticipated - bummer. Luckily, I have been going to prenatal yoga and have learned a lot from there. I mentioned this to Oscar and he said that he already knew all he needed to know about breathing and referenced Bill Cosby.

A few years ago, long before Oscar and I hopped on the baby train, we were channel surfing late one night and found Bill Cosby Himself stand up comedy show on HBO. There were several different parts to it but the one that we found hilarious was "Child Birth". We were laughing so hard that we were crying and I could hardly breathe. My mom came in and asked what was so funny - we couldn't even respond. She said she remembered laughing like that when she was pregnant and watching the Carol Burnette Show.

Ever since then, Oscar imitates Bill Cosby's breathing excercises. While I think it is funny now, I don't know if I will find it entertaining durning labor. Oscar is great about using humor to lighten a situation so I know that this will resurface once I go into labor. I just hope I can appreciate it and his good intentions.

If you haven't ever seen it, you should check it out (Bill Cosby Child Birth). It is a little long but well worth it.

No comments: