Friday, February 12, 2010

The Expiration Method

As many of you know, Oscar and I have spent a lot of time apart over the years. To get through it, I came up with the "Expiration Method". It was a great tool to get through our long stretches apart and can be applied to other life situations, too. You should try it sometime; it really works and is kinda fun :) My mom is one of my best students and a devoted follower of the "Expiration Method".

Theory
When you are waiting for an event to arrive, the best way to get there is seeing something to remind you that each day you are one step closer and the end of the waiting period is near. This method can be applied to any event that you are looking forward to and has been most helpful with seeing a loved one, vacations, and weddings.

How It Works
You can basically use anything that has an expiration date. Since my life revolves around food, the "Expiration Method" was initially based on expiration dates of food products.

1. Start with products that have a long shelf-life. For example, cheese, cream cheese, yogurt, etc. When the expiration date on the product is on or after the date of your event, you know you are getting close.

2. Move on to more perishable items. For example, heavy cream, eggs, etc. When you get to the milk, you know you are close.

3. Enjoy whatever it is you have been waiting for. You will start to smile when your fridge is stocked with items that all have post-expiration dates on them :)

Conclusion
This method has been in practice since 2000 and has a proven success rate when used appropriately. It works best when combined with a positive attitude and an appreciation for the small things in life. In fact, it has been so helpful that I have also found new ways to apply it to other simple tasks in life. For example, I find myself saying, "I only have to clean the bathrooms two more times before the baby comes."

Testimony
My mother is patiently awaiting the arrival of our little one and called just the other day to say: "Elizabeth, guess what? My cream cheese has an expiration date of April 27!!!" (Baby's due date is April 8th) There was such joy in her heart and in her voice. Who would've known that cream cheese could make us both feel like we are that much closer?

2 comments:

Laura Carter said...

Ok this is really crazy! Brandon and I had this conversation just last night eating dinner! I always use it with milk, yogurt, etc. Then i was buying some crackers yesterday and the expiration date said 5.18.10 a day before our due date. Of course Brandon had no clue what was i talking about and though i was crazy but i always judge things by how close they are by the expiration dates on products, and i thought i was the only one! Love this :)

Elizabeth said...

Rock on! Isn't it the best method ever?! Erika just wrote to tell me that she has some Pop Tarts for Grayson in her pantry that don't expire until May and thought of me. Too funny! By the way, you are looking wonderful!