Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Nesting

Today has been a nesting day. Not one of those "Oooh, I've been so productive and cleaned the whole house" kind of days but one of those "Nothing seems to be cleaned/organized/prepared enough" kind of days. Needless to say, my own to-do list overwhelmed me and almost got the best of me.

I had such a special birthday yesterday and was still so excited about it last night that I could hardly sleep. I planned on posting lots of fun pictures today and telling you all about it but, obviously, that didn't happen.

No, no. My top priorities were organzing the pantry (very important, I know), washing the baby's sheets, hunting down US Embassy information to faciliate getting her a passport once she is born, getting paperwork ready for the delivery ... you catch my drift. None of these things had to be done today yet I felt like there was an urgency to get it all done.

I knew I had to get in the shower, if I wanted to make it to my doctor's appointment on time, but a voice inside of me said that I needed to catch up on my scripture readings. My parish distributed a daily readings guide for Lent that I am doing and was a few days behind. Of course, one of the scriptures I read was just what I needed to hear. It was the story of Martha and Mary and the need of prayer. Jesus comes to stay with them and Martha gets frustrated because she is busy serving while Mary sits and listens to Jesus. He replies:

"Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things. There is need of only one thing." Luke 11: 41-42.

That helpled me to put things in perspective. I ended up arriving a few minutes late to my appointment (which I hate but it didn't bother me tonight). As I was rushing out the door, I put on my new watch that Oscar got me for my birthday, only to notice that I put it on upside down and didn't know how to undo the clasp. A white shirt got tossed in the wash with some dark clothes and has blue streaks on it. (Even after I spot treated it and washed it again, they are still there.) The baby's sheets are staring at me to iron and I haven't even thought about starting dinner. Yet, I decided not to worry about any of those things and to post on my blog.

After hearing from my doctor that everything continues to progress nicely and the baby is healthy and moving in the right direction, I realized that those are the things that are most important.

Tomorrow is another day and everything will get done sooner or later. And, if it doesn't, then we will manage either way. (To be honest, our flat and everything for the baby is really in pretty good shape. I was just looking at it from a warped perspective.) So maybe tomorrow or sometime next week I will post some pictures from my birthday :)

No comments: