Thursday, January 28, 2010

Oh, How I Love Pasta!

I have always liked pasta. Probably because I grew up on it. If I'm not mistaken, I think one of my first foods was pastina with butter, which is still one of my favorites today. There was a time when I got bored with it, maybe because it was always around. But, since I have been pregnant, I have a new-found love of pasta.

I have to limit myself to only eating it once or twice a week. If not, I would eat it everyday. And, I have to watch my portions because I am completley out of control. If you put a bowl of pasta in front of me, I'll eat it. If you put a serving platter on the table, I will finish it. If you make a pound of pasta and give it to me, I bet you I could eat the whole thing.

While pasta can be a very healthy dish, it can also be a plate full of carbs, sugars, calories, and fat. So to satisfy my love (and our baby's love!) of pasta, I have created the "pasta fake-out". Here are my tricks.

1. Everything in moderation. I try to only eat it a couple of times of week and never for dinner. I learned that it is much healthier to eat it mid-day because it gives the energy your body needs and the time you need to break it down before going to bed.

2. Measure, measure, measure! I cannot estimate for the life of me how much dry pasta is enough for just one or two people. My mom never makes less than a pound but that's because we are an army and there are always leftovers. I learned that 65 grams of dry pasta is the appropriate portion for a woman (not pregnant). So I use that as a starting point. I try to stick pretty close to it, though, maybe going up to 70 or 75 grams now.

3. Watch the sauce. The lovely cream, cheese, and meat sauces that we all know and love are what will get you when eating pasta. I try to stay away from those as much as possible. (Not to say I don't enjoy a nice bolognese or tomato cream every once in a while.) I like to use fresh tomatoes and basil or satueed vegetables as my toppings. They are equally delicious and much more healthful.

4. Add a protien. Always try to eat a protien with your pasta to keep your meal balanced. While I am not a big fan of tuna and pasta, it is a good option, as is deli ham or turkey or a piece of chicken. You can also consider substituting whole grain pasta for regular pasta. I found a wholegrain vegetable rotini that is nice. But, I am not going to lie to you; it's not the same.

5. Pasta as a supporting role. The golden rule to a "pasta fake-out" is to make the pasta only part of the dish. For example, I like to sautee a whole bunch of vegtables (whatever I have in the fridge) and toss them with pasta. This way, the dish shifts from "Pasta with Vegatables" to "Vegetables with Pasta". Or, instead of a traditional pasta salad that doesn't have any lettuce and comes in a rich dressing, make a nice garden salad, toss with olive oil and vinegar, and add pasta to it. Try it; it really works!

One of my "pasta fake-outs": Sauteed vegetables with linguine.

No comments: