Thursday, January 21, 2010

Come to the Water

At my Taize prayer group this week, we revisited the topic of silence. The opening thought was:

"At times prayer becomes silent. Peaceful communion with God can do without words."

More times than not, I find myself praying a laundry list of my needs and wants and failing to be quiet and listen what to what God needs and wants of me. I took advantage of this time to clear my mind of distracting thoughts, to focus soley on Him, and to just be silent. It was amazing how good it felt.

As soon as I did, God put the most beautiful image in my head - me and Him sitting side by side on the bank of a flowing river - and a beautiful song in my heart - "Come to the Water". It was so peaceful and safe. I truly felt His presence.

As I walked home, I started to think more about water and what it represents in scripture. I felt that there was a deeper meaning to this vision and that God was trying to tell me something. I always knew that water was a symbol of many things in the Bible - destruction through the flood, cleansing through baptisim, new life through creation - but I wanted to know more.

What I found was beautiful. I came across several interesting reflections but there was one that stuck out to me from the American Bible Society.

"Water is important in hope-filled visions of the future. John's vision of life-giving water flowing from God's throne in the New Jerusalem (Rev. 22: 1,2) is similiar to the life-giving stream that flows from the temple in the prophet Ezekiel's vision (Ezek 47: 1-12). And, both are reminders of the river that God made flow out of the ground to water the beautiful garden of creation (Gen. 2: 10-14)."

That was it ... hope-filled visions of the future, life-giving water, and creation. There are days when I worry about how our little one is doing. I am always filled with joy the days she is really active but, when she is not, I start to question and doubt. I know deep down in my heart that He is in control and taking good care of her. All I need to do is trust in Him. I believe that God gave me this beautiful vision of us by the river as my refuge ... to be my safe place to go when I doubt ... to remind me that He is our life-giving water, our creator, and He fills our futures with hope.

I have always loved the hymn "Come to the Water". It is one that I remember singing in church since I was very young. You can listen to a version of "Come to the Water" (very well done, by the way) by Matt Maher on YouTube. It is also a good one for all those who are suffering in Haiti.

Finally, I wanted to shere with you the closing communal prayer from our Taize meeting this week:

"Look, here I am, with all that I am; you understand who I am, more than I do myself. Make me as you want me to be. I long for your presence of love, of trust. Give me all that I need to live through you."

1 comment:

The Oswalds said...

Thank you for reminding us to be quiet and listen.