Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Words of Wisdom

"It’s easy to be pessimistic; after all, pessimists are rarely disappointed. Optimism, on the other hand, is a form of bravery because we risk being disappointed. But optimism breeds good things."

Dave Senay
President and CEO, Fleishman-Hillard

A friend of mine and old colleague from Fleishman-Hillard, Natasha, posted this quote from Dave Senay on her Facebook page and I thought it was brillant. It is so true!

I always thought of myself as being a positive person but lately not so much. I realize now why ... I was always preparing myself for the worst and worrying about being disappointed that I didn't let myself get excited about things.

No more! I am going back to my old self and not let the fear keep me from being who I am. A fun, lighthearted girl :)

A side note about Dave Senay
Many of you know that I used to work for FH. It was by far the most challenging and rewarding positions I have had. While I had some difficult days, FH is an amazing company and I was very proud to have had the opportunity to work there.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Senay, twice! And, both times in an elevator - first in St. Louis and later in Dallas. He is a brillant business man and very personable. While our conversations have been limited to however long it took to get the floor we were going to, I felt inclined to send him a personal email prior to my departure of FH to let him know how much I enjoyed working there. I didn't expect a response but it was just something I wanted to do. And, guess what ... he responded just minutes after. I was more than impressed.

It made me think: If the CEO of a multinational company can respond almost instantly - and include a personal reference to me - then why can't I respond better to friends and family, post pictures, or just call to say hi? It's all about relationships and I am going to work on that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Elizabeth! I love this quote! I couldn't agree with you more - life is so much easier with a positive attitude. Hope you're doing well! -Ashley