Friday, October 9, 2009

A very special gift

The kapok fairies descended on the southern land
Turning the branches brilliant once every year
When the glory of spring left its imprint on paper
There were enough remnants to fill a book

From a very special person.

When my mom came to visit over the summer, we went to Cambridge for the day. The town is absolutelycharming and we had really nice weather but, aside from that, there was just something about that day that was very special. I can't even explain it; it's just a day that I was always remember with much joy and love.

As we were walking around the campus, we found an intimate art expo. There was a single Chinese painter, Lianchoo Liang, who had her work on display. There was a small reception room and we wandered in. (At first, we thought it was an "invite only" and we had crashed the scene; but we didn't.) We each went our separate ways to check out the pieces. And, separately, we all fell in love with the same piece. It was so neat to hear eachother say that it was all nice but there was this one ... and it turned out that we all liked the same one!

We spoke first with the painter's daughter, then got to meet the artist. They were both delightful people. We were hesitant to ask if the piece was for sale but finally did ... and it was! So my mother so graciously bought it for us as a house warming gift. We were all so excited! We didn't get to take it home that day because the expo lasted through the weekend. So later that week my mom and I ventured out to meet the painter's daughter at her office in London to pick it up ... in the rain!

It has finally been framed and we found the perfect spot for it in our living room. When we are home, we spend most of our time in the living room so now I feel like my mom is with us each and everyday. I truly adore my mother and look up to her in so many ways. I miss her so very, very much and am so thankful for the times that we have together.

The painting is water colors and black calligraphy ink. The chinese writing running down the left side of the painting is a poem written by the artist about the tree and is translated underneath the picture above. While I am sure it doesn't translate nearly as beautifully in English, it captures the essence of what the tree represents.

In Cambridge with Lianchoo Liang and the Kapok Tree.

1 comment:

The Oswalds said...

I love this piece!!! How sweet to have it. Wonderful!