Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Richmond Park

Oscar and I went to Richmond Park over the weekend. It's not far outside of London and just a couple of trains and bus ride away. It is the largest of the Royal Parks (almost 2500 acres) and is filled with hills, woodlands, ponds, gardens, grasslands ... and free roaming deeer!

We packed a picnic (homemade chicken cutlet baguettes!) and made our way out there. I think it was our last day of nice weather. We anticipated that it might cool after later in the afternoon so I brought an extra sweater. Thank goodeness I did because it got quite chilly when we were sitting still to have lunch.

There were several great hiking trails that we explored. Most by chance - not that we were "lost" or anything :) We eventually found our way back to the bus stop. On our way back, we spotted some of the free ranging deer. It was so neat. They are used to having people around so you can get pretty close. I was exhausted by the time we left but we had a really nice time. A great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.


View from a look-out point. With the telescope, you can see Windsor Castle. In the other direction, they cut a path through the forest and you can see St. Paul's Cathedral. Amazing!


Free roaming deer.

My "dear" with the deer :)

If you can't tell, I was a little cold.

No comments: