Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Swine flu vaccine?

I am debating about getting the swine flu vaccine. My ob-gyn recommended me to get it. I have an appointment with my family practioner, who would administer the jab (as it is called here), on Monday to see what he recommends. I think it depends a lot on where you live and your lifestyle.

I have been doing some research and I am not convinced either way. My only doubts about getting it is that I don't feel that it has been tested enough to know if it is safe for pregnant women. I haven't ever gotten a regular flu shot and haven't suffered from a bad flu in the past. I know this is different, though. Also, there are medical professionals in the UK that have made public statements that they personally are not getting one, which isn't very encouraging.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2 comments:

Rosa said...

Este es un tema muy personal, porque además como cada uno te dice una cosa, pues al finales un lío. Yo si estuviera embarazada no me la ponía, pero claro, uno nunca sabe.
Besos para todos, y para las dos viajeras......

Laura Carter said...

I have to agree that I'm on the fence as well about what to do. My OBGYN recommends me getting it but he told me that not a lot of his patients are going to get it, more of his patients are getting the seasonal flu vaccine than the Swine flu vaccine. He said the reward of being vaccinated out weighs the risks if you are not. I did some research of my own on the center for disease control website and found that there hasn't been a case study completed to date on pregnant woman and the side effects. For that reason I'm deciding not to get it. I wish there was more information available because it does make me nervous, but for now I'm opting to not get it. My advice, go with what you feel is right not what others are telling you. We all have our opinions but ultimately it's up to you! Hope you're feeling well!