Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Feeling Empowered

I don´t ride horses very often, ok almost never, but I enjoy it. So when I organized a weekend getaway for Oscar and me, it included a two-hour route through the mountains and the countryside of Siguenza on horseback.

When we got there, Oscar asked if he could saddle up the stray cat that was wondering around the stables instead of a horse. We could tell that this wasn´t going to be your ordinary pony ride. A girl and her father, who were much more experienced than we were, joined us along with our guide, Mija. Mija basically helped us on the horse; gaves us the reigns; and said let´s go.

Before we knew it we were trotting up the mountain. My horse was well trained and was quite docile. Mija told me - tell the horse what to do and he´ll do it. However, it didn´t work that way at first. I was saying ... Excuse me, horse, could you please pick up the pace a little, if you don´t mind. ... Mija said ... No, you need to say... Go! ... and give him a strong nudge.

I am normally very good about telling people what to do in the kitchen or on a trip (it´s not being bossy, it´s demonstrating leadership) :) but with the horse it was different. Afterall, he was carrying me for two hours.

As we trotted up a hill, I noticed on the other side there was nothing but open countryside and I knew the horse was going to want to run. The other horses took off so I did, too. I gave him a nice nudge and we started to gallop. It was great! Much better than trotting. Oddly enough, I was more in control of the horse galloping than any other time on the route. I would move the reigns to the left, and the horse would go left ... then I would pull back and he would slow down; a little kick and we were passing up the other horses. It was quite empowering.

But I have to say that I was and put in my place as we were taking the last hill into the stables. My horse wanted to dart home but I wasn´t comfortable so I pulled back on the reigns and he want up on two legs - not good. Luckily, I held my own and we made a compromise and trotted down the steep hill. All in all, it was a great day. I really enjoyed the amazing views and the crisp fall breeze. I was really proud of Oscar, too. He was a great sport about it and ended up riding really well. I always knew that there was some cowboy in him :)

3 comments:

Veronica Maria said...

All I really want to know is: did he wear his cowboy hat?:)

Elizabeth said...

No, he didn´t. But as we were leaving we said that next time he will definitely have to bring it :) I even think he has some old boots somewhere...!

Veronica Maria said...

Hey where did you disappear to?