Monday, September 8, 2008

Vegetable Garden

A friend of Felix, Antonio, has a small vegetable garden in Boadilla del Monte, close to where we live. He is a local police officer and has this garden as a hobby. I met Antonio one day at the vineyard when we were shooting skeet and he mentioned that he was having a great harvest this year. My eyes must have lit up because he then invited me to come and pick whatever I wanted. I didn´t hesitate to say ¨Ok, when can I come?¨
A few days later, I was knee deep in fresh summer vegetables. I imagined I would get to bring home a few samples of each but never imagined that I would get to go home with all this! I picked fresh tomatoes, green bell peppers, Spanish peppers from Padron, zucchini, eggplant, onions and cucumbers. You wouldn´t believe how good they smell and what a difference they make in cooking. I have already made gazpacho, pisto, pasta with sauteed vegetables, tomatoe and cucumber saladas, and fried zucchinni. Delicious!
Just a few tomatoes.

The bell peppers are the big ones and Pimientos de Padron are the small ones. There is a saying ¨Pimientos de Padron, algunos pican otros no¨(Peppers from Padron, some are hot some are not.)

Ahh, heaven!

No comments: