Sunday, March 15, 2009

My birthday gift from God

This year, I got a birthday gift from God. No, really; I did. As you know, Oscar took me to Rome for my birthday. We spent most of Saturday at the Vatican and decided to stay for Mass. We were a little early so we went ahead and found a seat in St. Peter's Cathedral where Mass was going to be held. While I was kneeling and saying a quick prayer before things got started an older man approached Oscar.

He asked Oscar (in Italian) if we were Italian and Oscar said, "No, Spanish." The man said it didn't matter and kept speaking in Italian. He turned out to be the Head Usher and wanted to know if I would like to serve during Mass and bring the Eucharist up to the altar. Since I was praying, I wasn't paying attention to their conversation and then Oscar turned to me and asked if I wanted to. I said OF COURSE!

The usher moved us up to the front row and I, along with an older couple and another older man, were chosen to bring up the offertory gifts. We did a trial run before Mass started. The usher only spoke in Italian but I understood everything I needed to do. It was amazing. I followed his cue later in Mass and had the honor to serve at Mass in the Vatican. The Mass was in Italian and Latin. I understood the Italian for the most part but none of the Latin. Fortunately, Oscar was able to catch it on video. It was a day that I will never forget.


Matthew 5:6
"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled."



PS - I am the one who is under the age of 80 :)
2PS - I am wearing a dress that my very special friend, Bea, gave me for my birthday.

4 comments:

Veronica Maria said...

Absolutely amazing!

ivette said...

Wow ERM, that is so fantastic! What an honor - muchisimas felicidades.

Ramon said...

That is by far the greatest birthday gift, ever. I got chills when you found out about being in the service. Oscar and you are obviously very blessed. May your blessing rub off on others. -Ramon

Veronica Maria said...

i just showed daniel your video and he kept saying, "that is so awesome". miss you:) how is london?