Friday, December 19, 2008

Jingle Jam

Jingle Jam is by far the most clever condiment I have found this holiday season. I absolutely love cranberries and I am always looking for a new way to prepare them. They are slowly but surely moving away from that awful memory we have of cranberry sauce that was dumped on a plate and still had the shape of the can. Cranberries are very versatile (savory and sweet) and go so well with holiday entrees, such as turkey and ham. What I didn't know is that they also have cancer-fighting ingredients.

Texas Oncology came up with Jingle Jam, a Southern-style preserve that combines healthful cranberries, citrus, and jalapenos, to help bring a few cancer-protective foods to the holiday table. Last year, they came out with Holiday Crunch, which was a tasty combination of other cancer-fighting ingredients such as nuts, cranberries, and dark chocolate. Delicious!

I love that Texas Oncology has made it so easy to help raise awareness about cancer prevention. My mother-in-law is a cancer survivor so we are always looking for opportunities to look after friends and family. Check out the Texas Oncology web site for a crafty recipe card, video demo on how to prepare Jingle Jam, and tips for other healthy holiday foods.

Texas Oncology also recommended a few creative ways to serve Jingle Jam that I will have to try. I would have never thought to use the jam as a glaze on steamed carrots, or spread on whole grain toast for breakfast, or dolloped atop goat cheese tartlets for an appetizer. I am in the process of creating my holiday menu and I am looking forward to incorporating Jingle Jam into my spread.

No comments: