Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Panna Cotta

I made Panna Cotta for a dinner party Oscar and I hosted last weekend and it was a huge hit. I love it but wasn´t too sure if my guests were going to be crazy about it since it has an interesting texture. I went ahead and made a plate of cream puffs to go along with it, just in case I didn´t have any takers.

To my surprise, they loved it. Before I knew it, I heard spoons clanking against empty glasses as everyone was trying to enjoy the last bite. I had a few left over and Oscar and I devoured them the next day. I can´t take credit for the recipe, though. It is a classic from Giada de Laurentis, Everyday Italian.


1 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon unflavored powdered gelatin
3 cups whipping cream
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon sugar
Pinch of salt
2 cups assorted fresh berries

Place the milk in a small bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin over. Let stand for 3 to 5 minutes to soften the gelatin. Pour milk mixture into a heavy saucepan and stir over medium heat just until the gelatin dissolves but the milk does not boil, about 5 minutes. Add the cream, honey, sugar, and salt. Stir until the sugar dissolves, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat. Pour into 6 wine glasses so that they are 1/2 full. Cool slightly. Refrigerate until set, at least 6 hours. Spoon the berries atop the panna cotta and serve.

No comments: